letterhead
HomeAbout CMSFormationStudent LifeNews & EventsSupport CMS

ST. PIUS X CHAPEL

chapel

At the heart of Cardinal Muench Seminary is the St. Pius X Chapel. A substantial gift from the estate of Msgr. Andrieux, a priest of the Diocese of Fargo who died in 1965, made its construction possible. The chapel was consecrated on October 15, 1966, by Most Reverend Leo Dworschak, the anniversary of the episcopal consecration of Cardinal Muench (this date was chosen because it was the feast day of St. Theresa, his mother's patron saint). The chapel is used for daily celebrations of the Holy Eucharist, Liturgy of the Hours and Eucharistic Adoration.

The main altar is made from white marble from St. Cloud, Minnesota, and was designed at the St. Christopher Workshop of Bremen, Indiana. The Altar of Reservation is from black marble.

Stained glass windows surround the chapel on three sides: The Sower and the Seed, The Mystical Body and The Great Commission. They are shown on the following pages (there is a link at the bottom of this page).

Other religious imagery in this chapel includes three statues (the Sacred Heart, Mary, the Mother of God, and St. Therese of Lisieux), an image of the Divine Mercy, and the Stations of the Cross.

organ pipes

The classically voiced, 11 rank organ was designed by Eric Fiss of Fargo and built by the August Laukhuff Organ Company of Wikersheim, Germany. It was installed soon after the chapel was built,.and consists of 584 pipes made from mahogany and copper, arranged on two levels. Its diminutive size is deceptive, as it delivers a full, rich sound.

There are two banners as you enter the chapel. The banner on the east (left) wall is the Coat of Arms of Bishop Dworschak, Cardinal Munech's successor, who built Cardinal Muench Seminary; on the west (right) wall is the Coat of Arms of Archbishop Muench (he had the title of "Archbishop" while he was the Apostolic Nuncio to Germany, 1951-1959).

ALTAR OF REPOSE

tabernacle
Crucifixion

As part of their formation, the seminarians are encouraged to spend time before Our Lord Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament. By regularly praying in His Presence, the seminarian grows in his receptivity of this great mystery which he will serve his entire priestly life. In 2006 the seminary community was blessed by a very generous gift which made it possible to obtain a new tabernacle for the main chapel (shown on the left). Fashioned by craftsmen in Madrid, Spain, the tabernacle was completed and installed by the beginning of the new school year. It was blessed by Bishop Aquila during Mass on September 9th, 2007.

The outside of the tabernacle door depicts the Crucifixion scene (right), showing Jesus crucified on the cross and Mary, His Mother, and John the Apostle standing at his side. The keyhole is placed in the center of the figure of Mary, as if to say that to reach Jesus one must first go through Mary’s heart. Inside the front door is an engraving of adoring angels (bottom right) and on the back inside panel, the Incarnation of the Word at the Annunciation is depicted in bas relief (bottom left). These artistic renderings are visible signs pointing to the invisible reality of God’s Presence and grace. We are confident that this generous gift will inspire those drawn here to pray.

Annunciation   angels

Chapel Windows